Well this will certainly be a game the Thunder wish they could have back. This was an ugly loss, maybe even a scary loss…because it’s ya know, Friday the 13th.
The Thunder fall to 24-17 on the season to the Timberwolves. Russell Westbrook collected his ninteenth triple-double of the season tonight, which is the first time that’s been done since the NBA/ABA merger. Unfortunately, he also had 10 turnovers, so he really had a quadruaple-double, which is the second time that’s happened this season for Russ. He ended the night with 21 points, 11 rebounds, 12 assists, 2 steals and 10 turnovers on 7-of-23 from the field. In the second half, Russ went 1-of-13 and the Thunder only scored 36 points.
Enes Kanter was really the only Thunder player tonight that was able to efficiently score, as he had 21 points, 8 rebounds and 2 assists. I think the Wolves are a great matchup for Kanter. He can basically score at will against any of Minnesota’s bigs, with the exception of Towns. This basically forces Towns to work on defense, which in theory should tire out Minnesota’s best player. That wasn’t really the case tonight.
Karl-Anthony Towns was superb tonight. He had 29 points, 17 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals and 3 blocks. I think it’s safe to say that he should probably be an All-Star. This was the first time this season the Wolves have won three consecutive games. They have been really awful in the fourth quarter, but KAT willed his team to victory tonight. He picked up a technical foul and really, really wanted this win. He’s for sure been taking notes from Kevin Garnett.
The Thunder could not buy a shot tonight, that was the biggest reason they lost this game. They won the rebounding battle and were +11 in fast break points, but that’s not enough when you’re shooting 38% from the field and 15% from three. This OKC team goes as Russell Westbrook goes, for better or worse. Tonight was for worse. Russ struggled mightily in the second half and that affected how the entire team played. Russ is an elite level player and will bounce back from this one, but it’s for sure one that they should’ve been able to win. In Russ we trust.
- Minnesota Coach Tom Thibodeau legitimately sounds like a dog barking from the sidelines. His voice is so raspy, I love it.
- Andre Roberson was great on defense tonight. He had 5 steals, 2 blocks and kept Wiggins to 9-of-22 from the field. He wasn’t a total liability on offense with 8 points, but he missed a few easy putbacks at the rim. That’s usually not a big deal, but it is when the Thunder are struggling so hard to score.
- The Thunder only scored 3 three-pointers tonight. The Thunder have to prioritize getting guys like Abrines, Oladipo and Sabonis open looks. There are capable shooters on this team, but the Thunder don’t really run a lot of plays for them.
- Ricky Rubio was really solid tonight with 14 points, 4 rebounds, 14 assists and 4 steals. He’s really not having a great year, but he seems to always light up the Thunder. I’m sure we still remember that game winner he hit last year on Kyle Singler.
- Abrines only played 4 minutes tonight and Morrow got a DNP. I really think these two should’ve gotten minutes tonight, especially with how bad the Thunder shot tonight.