Monday Rewind: Nov. 26 – Dec. 2
November 28: Thunder Top Cavs 100-83
- It’s always nice to get an easy week of Thunder basketball, right? These guys have put us through years of close games, so a two-game week against the Cavs & Hawks was welcomed.
- The “short week” comes at a much needed time, as Hamidou Diallo and Terrance Ferguson both needed the week off to heal from their respective ankle injuries. (They both appear close to returning, by the way.)
- Anyway, when did Jordan Clarkson get so many tattoos?
- Clarkson was lights out in the first half, giving the Cavs a two-point advantage at halftime. He finished with 25 points off the bench.
- The play below might have been my favorite of the season so far. I fully expect this one in the pregame hype video next season:
- Jerami finished with 21 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 blocks in the win.
- Grant this season: 11.7 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks. He’s shooting 50 percent from the field, and his 35.9 percent clip from long distance is better than Paul George and Alex Abrines thus far. Weird.
- One of my favorite things about the Serge Ibaka era was watching him get better each year. It was a visible growth that was fun to watch. I’m beginning to feel the same way about Grant. In no way am I saying Jerami is similar to Serge, but the young man has taken an obvious jump this season.
- Deonte Burton did stuff in this one. Eight points, two rebounds, and two blocks in 16 minutes.
- I love how we are all still holding our breath on Burton. Check out the reactions to the block on Twitter:
- For what it’s worth, I’m Team “Deonte Rules”.
- Russell Westbrook, who wasn’t great the week before last, got started off on the right foot. MONSTROUS triple-double for the Brodie: 23 points, 19 rebounds, 15 assists.
- Westbrook is now tied with Jason Kidd for third all-time in triple-doubles. (107)
- If you’re reading this, odds are you watch nearly every Thunder game. Do yourself a favor and don’t get used to watching Westbrook. Don’t take it for granted. One hundred and seven triple-doubles is amazing. Despite how frustrating Westbrook-related basketball can be now and then, we should remind ourselves we are watching a legend.
November 30: Andre Roberson Suffers a Setback
- So, Royce Young hit us with a tweet to the gut last week:
- Royce’s follow-up tweet: “Roberson was progressing toward a return but was still some time away and while this setback is obviously unfortunate, it doesn’t entirely reset the timetable for him to come back. In six weeks the Thunder will have a clear picture of his expected return to play.”
- This kind of feels like a turning point in the Roberson saga, right? The Thunder suddenly have plenty of promising young wings. They are defending at a high level, even without Roberson. Things are going to be interesting when Dre finally gets over this injury.
November 30: Thunder Ground Hawks 124-109
- Yes, Russell Westbrook did rock the baby on Trae Young. It was subtle and respectful, but it still counts. You can catch a glimpse of it in the clip:
- At one point in the third quarter, Vince Carter (from the bench) tossed the basketball to Westbrook — who immediately threw it back. Technicals were handed out to both players. 13-year-old me and 30-year-old me were conflicted about whose side to take.
- Afterward, Westbrook immediately hit a jump shot, looked to the Hawks’ bench, pointed and rocked the baby again.
- Patrick Patterson hit a shot. I repeat: Patrick Patterson hit a shot. Actually, 2Pat hit FOUR shots in this one. He finished 4-of-9 from the field (3-8 3PT) and had 13 points. He came into the game shooting 0-of-16 in his previous five games.
- Another sneaky good game from Nerlens Noel: 14 points (6-of-7 FG), 7 rebounds, three steals, and two blocks in 16 minuters.
- Alex Abrines’ grandmother was in town and he made sure to put on a show. Have yourself a game señor: 21 points and a career-high seven three-pointers.
- Alex was having a lot of fun in this one. So much so, that he gave a Jordan shrug after his seventh make from long distance.
- I had a handful of people tell me not to compare Abrines to Michael Jordan. Thanks, guys. I eventually looked up some YouTube clips and that Jordan guy was pretty good. You may have been right.
- The schedule has been kind to the Thunder thus far. It seems to look favorable in December as well. Keep racking up those W’s, fellas. Something tells me you’ll be glad you did come March and April.
- Anyone ever sit around and miss Domantas Sabonis? Domas is playing just under 25 minutes a night for Indiana. He’s averaging 14.5 points per game on 64.4 percent shooting, 10.1 rebounds, and 3.3 assists. I don’t think, by any means, he’s doing this if he’s still in Oklahoma City… So, good for him.
- It’s December, so it’s socially acceptable to start up your Christmas music and movies nonstop. My 2-year-old daughter has Jim Carrey’s The Grinch on repeat. I don’t hate it.
- Most underrated Christmas movie: Jingle All the Way. Arnold + Sinbad = Christmas Classic.